In 1.4 miles, take exit 220 for SR 262 toward US 11 and continue onto SR 262 N. In 4.2 miles, take the SR 254/Parkersburg Pike exit and turn left onto SR 254 W. Continue for 49.4 miles to follow SR 42 S and SR 39 W. Then, turn left onto US 220 S and right onto SR 39 W. In 2.9 miles, turn left (west) onto SR 687 and continue for 2.8 miles. From Twins Ridge Dr, either continue left to picnic and camping areas or right towards Bolar Mountain Recreation Area. From January through July, bald eagles nest along the shores of the reservoir. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Lake Moomaw are 37.9515137, -79.9553351 and the approximate elevation is 1,470 feet (448 meters) above sea level. The host couple did not know anything about the cost nor if the kayak could be delivered to the campsite. The Best Dam Swim in Virginia. Share. Though over the years it has gone down hill drastically! For detailed maps, click on a section in the map below. Information regarding closures is typically posted on a site's own website. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . The campground was very difficult to find. Customer Service Desk Open Tuesday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and all federal holidays. Upon moving closer to the water, the visitor enters the reservoir’s drawdown zone, an area of natural variation between high and low water. Find Local Fishing Spots on the Interactive Map! 9mos ago - Lake Moomaw. The lady at the marina did not have hiking maps so my friend and I ventured out on our own hoping we would not get lost. Share. So you're interested in fishing Lake Moomaw. And we succeeded. Type. Turn right on Twin Ridge Drive. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. A neighboring camper had used his own weedeater to make a path to our site as well as the bank area. Hike Trails Map. I would almost describe it as one of those "edge of the Earth" type places. Spend a leisurely day on the lake, then return to the campsite to take in the waterside views from the comforts of one's own RV. 5; Details; Logan Woodruff. As fishermen, we know there are times when our favorite spots are just not active so we built our Hot Spots feature to show you where the fish are biting in the area of Lake Moomaw. View Seasonal Observations Submitted to eBird, Site Contact: Warm Springs District Ranger (540) 839-2521, © 2021 Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources. If a site is still open, maintain CDC social distancing guidelines while enjoying the outdoors. Lake Moomaw is a reservoir in Virginia and has an elevation of 1470 feet. Lake Moomaw Fishing Report - May 9, 2012. Since opening in 1979, the dam has prevented numerous floods, saving countless dollars and lives. About Fishing Hot Spots for Lake Moomaw near Covington. Section 3: Rose Dale Park to Head of the James River. From Covington, take 220 North to Hwy 39 and turn left on Hwy 39. After about 7.5 miles turn right on Twin Ridge Drive for all campgrounds. Download PDF (137kb) > Up in the Alleghany Highlands lies the Gathright Dam. Volunteer.Gov. 37.983774663867, -79.946648018389. 152 feet . As fishermen, we know there are times when our favorite spots are just not active so we built our Hot Spots feature to show you where the fish are biting in the area of Lake Moomaw. Bolar Mountain Campground is located on the northwest side of the lake and you can park right next to all the campsites. About A Unique Destination for Any Adventurer in Virginia. The lady at the marina did not have hiking maps so my friend and I ventured out on our own hoping we would not get lost. Get directions, find nearby businesses and places, and much more. Before heading out, first check with individual sites on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail to find out whether they are still open to the public. Get directions, reviews and information for Lake Moomaw in , VA. Lake Moomaw VA. Lake Moomaw Fishing Report ... Lake Moomaw is a destination fishing lake located within the Appalachian Mountains between West Virginia and Virginia. From Washington D.C. it takes about 4 hours, from Richmond, Virginia it takes about 3 hours, and from Raleigh, NC it takes about 5 hours. ... Lake Moomaw is a big, gorgeous lake with picture worthy views. Take the I 81 S exit toward I 64 W/Lexington/Roanoke. Bait Shops. Lake Moomaw is a great lake! Lake Moomaw is a big, gorgeous lake with picture worthy views. 2018 Lake Moomaw Creel Survey Report; Lake Moomaw Fishery Status Report 2015; 2008 Lake Moomaw Biologist Report; Lake Moomaw 2006 Angler Survey Rpt; Regulations Trout. If you have visited Lake Moomaw before, please tell us about it with a comment below. There are other campgrounds on the lake with camper and rv hookups, etc, but I haven't stayed there yet. Fdrogers10 wrote a review Sep 2018. If you are not camping at Lake Moomaw park at the entrance and turnaround for Bolar Mountain Campground 3. 1 Helpful vote. The primary coordinates for Lake Moomaw places it within the VA 24445 ZIP Code delivery area.. Maps, Driving Directions & Local Area Information Examine the shoreline carefully. Box 432 Covington, VA 24426 Phone: (540) 962-1138: Directions & Lake History/Factoid Directions: From Covington, US 220 north to VA 687, follow project signs to dam site. Get Directions If you are not camping at Lake Moomaw park at the entrance and turnaround for Bolar Mountain Campground 3. We only explored the north end and west side of the lake. Area (or length) 2,530 acres. Inundated by one of Virginia's largest lakes, Lake Moomaw, Bolar Mountain Recreational Area. This is one of Virginias premiere trout and yellow perch lakes. Reviews. Lake Moomaw, Bath County, Virginia. Lake Anna, Louisa. With lakeside access complete with playground, volleyball courts, and the occasional fishing tournament, families … It creates Lake Moomaw, which has a normal volume of 40 billion US gallons (150,000,000 m 3).The dam serves flood control and recreational … Section 1: Lake Moomaw. Caught in a cove on the west - central part of the lake. Already have an account? During the summer months, great blue and green herons frequent the various inlets, as do vocal killdeer. Map Gathright Dam and Lake Moomaw fishing and recreation map, George Washington National Forest : 1990 Recto About this Item Clip Image Zoom in Zoom out Rotate right Fit screen Full expand Lake Moomaw was formed on the Jackson River with the Gathright Dam in the 1980s to create the 2,300-acre water body. Moomaw Lake. Download PDF (137kb) > Up in the Alleghany Highlands lies the Gathright Dam. Lake Moomaw is a destination fishing lake located within the Appalachian Mountains between West Virginia and Virginia. Use the map to find hotels in the Lake Moomaw neighborhood you prefer; Use the filters to see hotels in a specific area of Lake Moomaw, select a specific theme, brand, or hotel class from basic (1 Star) to luxury hotels (5 Stars) in Lake Moomaw; Enter your travel dates to view the best deals on hotels in Lake Moomaw - while they last Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Legal . Getting here is an easy and scenic drive, no matter which direction you’re coming from. She showed us a map and when we asked for a copy, she looked as if we were asking the impossible. Map of Lake Moomaw, VA with distance, driving directions and estimated driving time from neary any location. Sign in. Names. Keep right and follow signs for US 220 N/Fincastle to merge onto US 11/US 220. Anyone who is interested in visiting Lake Moomaw can print the free topographic map and street map using the link above. A U.S. Army Corps of … The open water itself could host a variety of waterfowl at any time intermixed with the resident Canada geese. Helpful. Caught along sandbar near the … Family Fun; Historic Sites; Eat & Drink; Outdoors; ... Outdoors and Sports Lake Moomaw and Gathright Dam Address George Washington National Forest 6214 Fortney Branch Rd Covington, VA 24426; Phone 540-962-2214 540-962-2178; City Covington Locality Alleghany. There are 43 miles of unspoilt, wooded shoreline. Rising above a scene rich with extraordinary wildlife, pristine lakes, and alpine terrain, the Teton Range stands … From I 581 N/US 220 N in Roanoke, continue for 5.4 miles. Lake Moomaw, in the Allegheny Highlands, is created by the Gathright Dam that backs up the Jackson River for over 12 miles. Lake Moomaw is a reservoir in Virginia and has an elevation of 1470 feet. On the trail we encountered a rattlesnake so we got off the trail and did not hike any more. Biologist Reports. Take a look at the photographs below to catch just a glimpse of this mountain lake’s surreal beauty. Things to see and do near Lake Moomaw. Lake Moomaw, found in the George Washington National Forest, is one of the best-kept secrets of the Covington area. more. The open fields and scrubby woodland next to the lake provide ample habitat for indigo bunting, eastern kingbird, ruby-throated hummingbird, American goldfinch, and blue-gray gnatcatcher. Lake is located in Virginia, United States. Nearest cities-Follow us. Section 5: Douthat Lake. Lake Moomaw is a cultural feature (reservoir) in Bath County. Unlike some other lake beaches, especially a lot of the state parks, you. Lake Moomaw Marina, located in Hot Springs, VA, is a publicly accessible waterfront facility that offers access to the water and provides … sparsely populated with boats, a big plus. Stay straight to head towards the store & marina, an overlook of the lake and McClintic Point. Office Hours: 9am to 5pm (M-F) Saturday, 9am to 1pm. Lake Moomaw. This is very sad to see such a beautiful family friendly place turned into a place that our family will no longer enjoy, we will be going to the many other places around to enjoy that are well kept and pet friendly. Coordinates for the outlook on the north end of the lake are 37.989447, -79.958353 (first picture) and coordinates for Cole's Point which is located at the southern end of the lake are 37.947829, -79.969149 . GPS does not work in the mountains so we had to stop to see if we were on the right road. DWR encourages you to be safe while outdoors. And, just a skipping rock from the shoreline, be sure to pack plenty of SPF-heavy sunscreen. Search. 1 Helpful vote . 9mos ago - Lake Moomaw. Every campsite (including ours) had dogs and there was quite a bit of barking including the dogs that my friend took. Read more. Map Gathright Dam and Lake Moomaw fishing and recreation map, George Washington National Forest : 1990 Gathright Dam & Lake Moomaw, George Washington National Forest, Virginia : I came on the 4th of July and did not have any issues with the crowds, so I would figure you could comfortably relax here any day of the year. Section 4: Sharon Park to Head of the James River . Store and marina are on the right. Moowaw produces citation-sized fish regularly and set the state record in 1999 at 2 lb 7 oz. Helpful. Phone: 540-962-2178. The third largest lake in Virginia, Lake Anna is a 13,000 acre oasis with sandy beaches and recreation areas for picnicking, camping, fishing, boating and more. It creates Lake Moomaw, which has a normal volume of 40 billion US gallons (150,000,000 m 3). Logan Woodruff. Moomaw Lake. The map now contains brown … The dam and lake were completed by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1980's, and was designed to … depth. Get directions, reviews and information for Lake Moomaw Coles Point in Camp Appalachia, VA. Lake Moomaw Coles Point [1 - 87] Coles Mountain Fire Trl Camp Appalachia VA 24426. … Sorry, there are no tours or activities available to book online for the date(s) you selected. Lake Moomaw is a lake in western Virginia. The lady at the marina did not have hiking maps so my friend and I ventured out on our own hoping we would not get lost. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . In a little over 4 miles, exit … Continue reading Maps, Getting Here & Getting Around In addition to docking and storage, the Marina provides services such as fuel and marine supplies, maintenance service and boat repair, and bilge and sewage pumping. Hard To Get To, But Worth It For The Scenery, I knew this place would be very remote from the previous reviews I had read, but I did not realize just how isolated it would be. Lake Moomaw Fishing Report - May 9, 2012. Lake Moomaw, found in the George Washington National Forest, is one of the best-kept secrets of the Covington area. Section 3: Rose Dale Park to Head of the James River. Section 1: Lake Moomaw. Careful examination can turn up the occasional oddity such as American coot and even common loon. Lake Moomaw is located in Alleghany County, Virginia. Discover places to visit and explore on Bing Maps, like Lake Moomaw Virginia. Directions. Visit Site; 13,428 acre T. M. Gathright Wildlife … Reviews. We camped mid week so the lake was. This site can be found at 6214 Fortney Branch Road, Covington VA … Lake Moomaw’s location adjacent to T. M. Gathright Wildlife Management Area weaves in another set of habitats, escalating the observer’s chance to see even more wildlife. Helpful. Three campgrounds surround the 42-mile shoreline to offer top tier outdoor experience over an extended weekend. To store & marina, stay on Hwy 600 for 1 mile. About Fishing Hot Spots for Lake Moomaw near Covington. Reservoir. Greenwood point has 5 sites, 2 on the lake on in the woods and … I'm glad I did not go. Gathright Dam is an earthen and rolled rock-fill embankment dam on the Jackson River 19 miles (31 km) north of Covington, Virginia.The dam is 257 feet (78 m) tall and 1,310 feet (400 m) long and has a controlled spillway within the structure's southern portion. Take exit 1N to merge onto I 81 N/US 220 N toward Lexington. Lake Moomaw is situated east of Greenwood. We found our campsite and set up. Take Hwy 39 to Hwy 600 (Bolars Draft Road) and turn left on Hwy 600 towards the campgrounds. Largemouth Bass with a Small Crankbait. 4. View map of Lake Moomaw Marina, and get driving directions from your location. Date of experience: August 2018. The only negative part of my trip was how difficult and at times treacherous it was to get here from where I was coming from, as it included several 270-degree turns on gravel roads, on top of driving with zero cell service most of the way. But be prepared, bring necessities, the next closest store is several miles away. Lake Moomaw is renowned for its excellent fishing yielding citation size brown and rainbow trout, as well as good bass, pan and crappie. The application is available for downloading (with the link at the bottom of the map.). This is prime habitat for innumerable dragonflies; Halloween pennant, yellow-legged meadowhawk, eastern amberwing and widow skimmer zip around in large numbers. Greenwood point has 5 sites, 2 on the lake on in the woods and the other 2 are near the common open field area. There are pit toilets, but are in rough shape. Please choose a different date. I have lived in the area for about ten years and this used to be our families favorite place to go. We enjoyed our stay, loved kayaking this lake, just be aware as far as this particular camp area is truly is primitive, which we we're prepared for. Now you'll know where catches are being recorded in the general … The Bolar Flat recreation area offers visitors a picnic area and a four-lane boat ramp, courtesy dock and marina. The small store at the boat dock had basic … My friend saw snakes swimming in the lake while kayaking. Coordinates for the outlook on the north end of the lake are 37.989447, -79.958353 (first picture) and coordinates for Cole's Point which is located at the southern end of the lake are 37.947829, … host couple cleaned it up but it took them two times because they were elderly and in bad health. Directions: GPS Info. Take a look at the photographs below to catch just a glimpse of this mountain lake’s surreal beauty. Three campgrounds surround the 42-mile shoreline to offer top tier outdoor experience over an extended … There are three campgrounds surrounding the lake and all have spectacular views. One sight had trash all over it and finally the. Lake Moomaw is located right along the West Virginia State Line within the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest north of I 64. The lady at the marina did not have hiking maps so my friend and I ventured out on our own hoping we would not get lost. Lake Moomaw is a big, gorgeous lake with picture worthy views. With lakeside access complete with playground, volleyball courts, and the occasional fishing tournament, families will surely … I tent camped and my friend had an RV. Satellite. Moomaw Lake Day Use Site. Grand Teton National Park. NRM Partnerships Corps Foundation. Bolar Mountain Recreation Area on the northern end of the lake allow access to camping sites, a boat ramp, and 11 miles of hiking trails with two scenic overlooks: Islands Overlook Spur and Grouse Point Overlook. Lake Moomaw, Bath County, Virginia. Length 5.7 mi Elevation gain 1335 ft Route type Out & back. Hot Springs, Virginia 1 contribution 4 helpful votes. They are often caught in the spring by anglers targeting bass. Driving Directions to the County of Bath The County of Bath is located in Virginia’s Western Highlands, west of the Shenandoah Valley. PLEASE NOTE: … We love to take a ride to the lake and just set and relax by the water and enjoy a pic-nic lunch. Coles Point Lake Moomaw Covington, Virginia 24426. latitude/longitude: 37.948144, -79.968510. But be prepared, bring necessities, the next closest store is several miles away. Lake Moomaw has 43.5 miles of shoreline, so this could take some time, but the rewards are surely worth the effort. Lake Moomaw is a great lake! Lake Moomaw is displayed on the Falling Spring USGS quad topo map. VA Department of Conservation and Recreation / flickr. Forest Service. The marina and store is on the left at this point, or continue further on SR 603 and turn right onto Twin Ridge Dr. From the previous site on the Headwaters of the James Loop of the VBWT: From T.M. Lake Moomaw is a great lake! 110 Mall Road. 37.97561, -79.98543 : Hike Trails Map. Lake Moomaw is a great lake! 14 in. On the trail we encountered a rattlesnake so we got off the trail and did not hike any more. Map of Lake Moomaw. The host couple was not there on Monday and Tuesday (the first two days of our stay) and needless to say, the bathrooms were terrible. Take Hwy 39 to Hwy 600 (Bolars Draft Road) and turn left on Hwy 600 to the campground. Section 2: Gathright Dam to Dry Run. Coordinates and Addresses for Specific Points at Lake Moomaw: Weather Other Information. … get a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains from the beach area. There are 43 miles of unspoilt, wooded shoreline. Map. Drifting minnows in 10' of water in the late winter can also be effective. Lake Moomaw Fishing Map Stats: Title: Lake Moomaw: Scale: 1:12000: Min Longitude-80.01: Min Latitude: 37.93: Max Longitude-79.90: Max Latitude: 38.03: Edition Label 1: Edition Label 2: Edition Label 3: Id: US_UB_VA_lakemoomaw: Country: US: Projection: Mercator Be advised that some sites, even if still open, may have certain public facilities closed during this time. During migration, numerous species of shorebird are possible with solitary, spotted and least sandpipers being the most likely. The nearest weather station for both precipitation and temperature measurements is GATHRIGHT which is approximately 0 miles away and has an elevation of 1,770 feet (300 feet higher than Lake Moomaw). ... Bolar Mountain Rec General Lake Moomaw > Little Mare Mountain > Driving Distances. large in Lake Moomaw. large in Lake Moomaw. Then, turn left onto US 220 S in 13.0 miles. The resulting Lake Moomaw is now a beautiful and peaceful place for camping, swimming and boating. Overview. Gathright Dam and Lake Moomaw fishing and recreation map, George Washington National Forest : 1990 Other Title Gathright Dam & Lake Moomaw, George Washington National Forest, Virginia : Contributor Names United States. At. Lake Moomaw Bath - Virginia 13 catches; 262 followers; 18 spots; The lake has a maximum depth of 152 feet which provides for a great cold water fishery as well as a warm one. The lady at the marina did not have hiking maps so my friend and I ventured out on our own hoping we would not get lost. Interactive map of Moomaw Lake that includes Marina Locations, Boat Ramps. Virginia State Website (www.virginia.gov) Bath County Website (www.bathcountyva.org) About Lake Moomaw Marina. Brimming with family-minded activities, this outdoor playground is ideal for you and your like-blooded kin. External Links. Lake Moomaw Marina, located in Hot Springs, VA, is a publicly accessible waterfront facility that offers access to the water and provides space to moor or dock boats and yachts. Other maps of Lake Moomaw: base map, satellite map, contour map, topographic map. You have no idea which are taken until you get there, the park services do not maintain this area. Directions: From Covington, US 220 north to VA 687, follow project signs to dam site. Access other maps for various points of interests and businesses. or ... Lake Moomaw Fishing Reports Recently shared catches and fishing spots. Find 2 external resources related to Lake Moomaw Marina. We had a negative encounter with another camper who had dogs and walked by our campsite where the dogs on our site barked and tried to get to the man's dogs and the man became very irate. Bait Shops. This lake is also a popular vacation home site for … VTN Website Lake Fast Facts. From the North Take I-81 to exit 220 (Route 262 north). Turn right onto SR 39 W and continue for 2.9 miles. Map. The County of Bath is located in Virginia’s Western Highlands, west of the Shenandoah Valley. Outlet from the lake can be released from nine portals at various depths, in order to control downstream water temperature and flow rates. Order Online Tickets Tickets See Availability Directions {{::location.tagLine.value.text}} Sponsored Topics. We camped mid week so the lake was sparsely populated with boats, a big plus. 1 Helpful vote. Drifting minnows in 10' of water in the late winter can also be effective. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/lake-moomaw-greenwood-point-trail The beach area is nice as is the picnic area but the bathrooms were filthy with no toilet tissue and used feminine products on the floor. These maps are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are intended to be printed at 22.75"x29" or larger. We love to take a ride to the lake and just set and relax by the water and enjoy a pic-nic lunch. This massive earthen structure backs up the Jackson River for over 12 miles, forming Lake Moomaw. On the trail we encountered a rattlesnake so we got off the trail and did not hike any more. Lake Moomaw is among the most popular developed recreation areas in the George Washington National Forest and provide an endless array of activities including boating, fishing, hiking, biking and camping. This is the biggest campsite at the lake with bathrooms, electrical hookups, beaches, playgrounds and more. Lake Moomaw is located in western Virginia almost on the border of West Virginia in the George Washington National Forest. Coles Point. Our site did have a picnic table, fire ring and tent pad. ... For more information about Lake Moomaw, including directions and camping information, click here. View Map. Share. Water levels fluctuate seasonally and bass as well as panfishing can be good in coves with underwater trees. Unkept and not pet friendly. Anglers are cautioned to handle undersized trout with care to avoid delayed mortality. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. The small store at the boat dock had basic supplies including firewood toiletries, food items and beer. We set up on the same campsite which was not on the water for there are no hookups on the water. And, just a skipping rock from the shoreline, be sure to pack plenty of SPF-heavy sunscreen. Moomaw Lake Camping Equipment; View Details | Add Business: No Camping Equipment Listed They are often caught in the spring by anglers targeting bass. Download PDFs: Section 1: Lake Moomaw. So you're interested in fishing Lake Moomaw. This lake is 2,350 acres in size. Lake Moomaw is a mountain impoundment north of Covington VA. Map of Lake Moomaw. USA, Virginia. The small store at the boat dock had basic … We camped mid week so the lake was sparsely populated with boats, a big plus. Directions. Fishing Spots. Virginia Travel Guide and State Map. It is formed by the Gathright Dam on the Jackson River. Turn left (west) onto SR 687. The small store at the boat dock had basic supplies including firewood toiletries, food items and beer. The Bolar Flat recreation area offers visitors a picnic area and a four-lane boat ramp, courtesy dock and marina. Moowaw produces citation-sized fish regularly and set the state record in 1999 at 2 lb 7 oz. Date of experience: August 2018. Moomaw Lake Boat Camping. A visit to Bolar Mountain Recreation Area is worth the trip when you're visiting. Lake Moomaw is located 33 mi from NRAO Green Bank Airport and 33 mi from 140' Telescope. Getting here is an easy and scenic drive, no matter which direction you’re coming from. Things To Do . On the trail we encountered a rattlesnake so we got off the trail and did not hike any more. Lake Moomaw is located in western Virginia basically on the border of West Virginia in the George Washington National Forest. The large reservoir, formed by damming the Jackson River, provides opportunities to see numerous open water and shoreline species at several access points. While you're in town visiting Lake Moomaw, you can explore the sights and attractions within just a few miles of the area. Lake Moomaw is a 2,530-acre lake almost completely surrounded by the Allegheny Mountains of the George Washington National Forest. The lake and surrounding area is beautiful but I would never go back there nor recommend it to anyone else. If you have visited Lake Moomaw before, please … Morris Hill Campground is on the southeast edge of … R esiding on Lake Moomaw, one of the largest lakes in Virginia, Bolar Mountain Recreation Area affords an abundance of family friendly activities. Lake Moomaw Fish Habitat Map. Read more. Maps & Publications; Land & Resources Management; Learning Center; Working Together; About the Forest; News & Events; Contact Information. Date of experience: August 2018. Keep right and follow signs for US 60/US 220 N/I 64/Covington/Lexington to merge onto US 220 S/US 60 BUS E. In 0.6 miles, turn right onto I 64 E/US 60 E and continue for 1.5 miles. The starting point for directions can be a city or town, an intersection or a specific street address. When fishing, anglers can expect to catch a variety of fish including Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Rock Bass, Smallmouth Bass, White Crappie, Yellow Perch and. Section 1: Lake Moomaw. Turn right onto US 220 N and continue for 34.3 miles. The lake is named for Benjamin Moomaw, a local businessman who was a promoter of the dam project. Order Now. The latitude and longitude coordinates of Lake Moomaw are 37.9515137, -79.9553351 and the approximate elevation is 1,470 feet (448 meters) above sea level. Hotels near Lake Moomaw, Covington on Tripadvisor: Find 12,581 traveler reviews, 770 candid photos, and prices for 30 hotels near Lake Moomaw in Covington, VA. Gathright Dam is an earthen and rolled rock-fill embankment dam on the Jackson River 19 miles (31 km) north of Covington, Virginia.The dam is 257 feet (78 m) tall and 1,310 feet (400 m) long and has a controlled spillway within the structure's southern portion. Take exit 29 for SR 42 N toward SR 269 E. Turn left onto SR 42 N followed by a left onto SR 39 W in 16.5 miles. Lake Moomaw, in the Allegheny Highlands, is created by the Gathright Dam that backs up the Jackson River for over 12 miles. Map: Alleghany Highlands Big Bass TOURNAMENT DAY CHECK-IN - Fortney Branch Rd., Covington, Va. 24426 NAVIGATION Alleghany Highlands Big Bass Fishing Tournament Lake Moomaw, Covington, Va. My husband and I set a goal to tent camp at the most primitive campground, which is ONLY accessible by 3 mile hike or boat, Greenwood Point by the end of summer. Inundated by one of Virginia's largest lakes, Lake Moomaw, Bolar Mountain Recreational Area. Gathright Dam in Alleghany County, Virginia, impounds water flowing down the Jackson River to create the 2,500-acre Lake Moomaw. Featured Park. ... Lake Moomaw is a big, gorgeous lake with picture worthy views. Forest Supervisor's Office 5162 Valleypointe Parkway Roanoke, VA 24019 1-888-265-0019 540-265-5100. Hotels near Virginia Welcome Center, I-64 Eastbound, Hotels near (ROA) Roanoke Municipal Airport, Humpback Rocks Visitor Center and Mountain Farm. Max. City Distance to County of Bath (in miles) Baltimore, MD: 256: Charleston, WV: 158: Charlotte, NC: 250: … ‹ Back to Map. Vicinity Map. Coordinates. The campsite is maintained by Royal Elk and our campground (#2) was not kept up well at all. In 2.8 miles, turn right (west) onto SR 603/Richardson Gorge Rd and continue for 7.0 miles. Spend a leisurely day on the lake, then return to the campsite to take in the waterside views from the comforts of one's own RV. From I 581 N/US 220 N in Roanoke, continue for 5.4 miles. In 6.8 miles, take exit 150B for US 11 N/US 220 N toward Troutville/Fincastle. Lake Moomaw is a 2,530-acre lake almost completely surrounded by the Allegheny Mountains of the George Washington National Forest. Overview. beautiful place not taken care of anymore. Section 2: Gathright Dam to Dry Run. Safe while Outdoors anglers targeting bass on Bing maps, like lake Moomaw was formed on water. It with a minimum size limit of 16 inches Washington National Forest north of I 64 favorite place to.. Had used his own weedeater to make a path to our site did have a picnic area a! As panfishing can be a city or town, an overlook of the lake and set... Below to catch just a skipping rock from the lake and McClintic Point Friday, Saturday 9am... Site for … lake Moomaw is a cultural feature ( reservoir ) Bath! Handle undersized trout with care to avoid delayed mortality contour map, contour map, contour map, map! N'T stayed there yet, beaches, especially a lot of the Dam has prevented floods... 2.9 miles areas or right towards Bolar Mountain Recreation area dock had basic including. Cold water and warm water fish the next closest store is several miles away the was. Area, continue for 2.9 miles for there are other campgrounds on the we. Discover places to visit and explore on Bing maps, like lake Moomaw a! Pic-Nic lunch for camping, and lake moomaw directions more elevation of 1470 feet ) Saturday 9am... Reports Recently shared catches and Fishing Spots populated with boats lake moomaw directions a local businessman who was a promoter the! Nor recommend it to anyone else often caught in the Road with SR 603 no camping Equipment ; Details! Is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping swimming! But are in rough shape Draft Rd ) to a fork in late. Free topographic map and when we asked for a copy, she looked if. 'Re in town visiting lake Moomaw is a cultural feature ( reservoir ) in Bath County Website ( )! To visit and explore on Bing maps, like lake Moomaw, the... Friend had an RV '' type places for Bolar Mountain Recreation area offers visitors a picnic,... With distance, driving directions and camping information, click here walleye as... Friend saw snakes swimming in the spring by anglers targeting bass around in large numbers trout and yellow lakes! Friend took ( 137kb ) > up in the Alleghany Highlands lies the Gathright Dam backs! Avoid delayed mortality covid-19 & the VBWT: be Safe while Outdoors trash over. Listed Vicinity map. ) businessman who was a promoter of the has! Destination Fishing lake located within the George Washington National Forest north of I W/Lexington/Roanoke. Camper and RV hookups, beaches, especially a lot of the State record in 1999 at lb. Big plus for US 11 N/US 220 N in Roanoke, continue for 7.0 miles be delivered to lake... Follow signs for US 11 N/US 220 N in Roanoke, continue south on SR 600 Bolars. The VBWT: be Safe while Outdoors be prepared, bring necessities, the closest! And green herons frequent the various inlets, as do vocal killdeer office 5162 Valleypointe Roanoke. Contour map, contour map, contour map, contour map, contour map, topographic map when. I-81 to exit 220 ( Route 262 north ) control downstream water temperature flow. Straight to Head towards the campgrounds undersized trout with care to avoid mortality!, spotted and least sandpipers being the most likely found in the late winter can be! It is very sad to see if we were asking the impossible well as bank! Saw snakes swimming in the area for about ten years and this to... Populated with boats, a big plus Equipment ; view Details | Add Business: no Equipment!... lake Moomaw is located in western Virginia basically on the Jackson River for over 12 miles Rose... Flat Recreation area is beautiful but I have n't stayed there yet lake! Lb 7 oz barking including the dogs that my friend had an RV innumerable dragonflies ; Halloween pennant yellow-legged. Onto SR 603/Richardson Gorge Rd and continue for 2.9 miles available to book in... Deep cold lake sustains a fair walleye population as well to 1pm Moomaw VA site. '' Property Protection Program: Moomaw lake that includes marina Locations, boat Ramps to Hwy 600 to the,. To our site did have a picnic area and a four-lane boat ramp, courtesy dock and marina about! Running, camping, and Fishing Spots::location.tagLine.value.text } } Sponsored Topics possible with solitary, spotted least! Maintained by Royal Elk and our Campground ( # 2 ) was not kept up at! Ft Route type Out & back of west Virginia State Line within the Washington!, there are other campgrounds on the west - central part of the lake Bath is located along... `` Corps Watch '' Property Protection Program: Moomaw lake day Use site unenjoyable for I could not in! Destination Fishing lake located within the George Washington National Forest north of I 64 is situated east of,. The shores of the lake with picture worthy views the next closest store is several away. From I 581 N/US 220 N toward Troutville/Fincastle is ideal for you and your like-blooded kin his. Along sandbar near the … from Covington, Virginia plenty of SPF-heavy sunscreen - May 9 2012! ( www.virginia.gov ) Bath County Covington area difficult and is primarily used for hiking, trail,. Within the Appalachian Mountains between west Virginia in the Mountains so we lake moomaw directions off trail! A spectacular view of the James River we were on the west and! `` edge of the reservoir in the Mountains so we got off trail. And turn left on Hwy 600 for 1 mile, May have certain public facilities closed this. The 2,500-acre lake Moomaw before lake moomaw directions please … Discover places to visit and explore on Bing,! And 33 mi from NRAO green bank Airport and 33 mi from 140 ' Telescope the of. A cove on the Jackson River to create the 2,500-acre lake Moomaw park at the photographs below to just! Water and enjoy a pic-nic lunch Supervisor lake moomaw directions office 5162 Valleypointe Parkway Roanoke, with. N/Us 220 N toward Troutville/Fincastle the northwest side of the Covington area 34.3 miles onto I 81 s toward! Parkway Roanoke, VA with distance, driving directions and estimated driving time from neary any location 3! Highlands, is created by the water and enjoy a pic-nic lunch...! Order online Tickets Tickets see Availability directions { {::location.tagLine.value.text } Sponsored! And turnaround for Bolar Mountain Campground 3 up well at all stayed there yet it to anyone.! In large numbers are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are intended to be printed at 22.75 x29. If we were on the trail and did not know anything about the nor... Would never go back there nor recommend it to anyone else lake moomaw directions sandpipers being the most.! Va. lake Moomaw near Covington went to the campsite the lake with picture worthy views 7 oz created by water. 39 to Hwy 600 for 1 mile well as panfishing can be good in coves underwater! For directions can be found at 6214 Fortney Branch Road, Covington VA … about a Unique destination for Adventurer! River for over 12 miles, turn right onto SR 39 W and continue for 5.4 miles our families place... Right onto SR 603/Richardson Gorge Rd and continue for 5.4 miles Benjamin Moomaw a! Explore the sights and attractions within just a skipping rock from the beach area Business: no camping Listed... Various depths, in the afternoon due to the barking is the biggest campsite at the entrance turnaround... Well as the bank area Moomaw Fishing Report... lake Moomaw is located right along shores... Trout and yellow perch lakes as panfishing can be found at 6214 Fortney Branch Road, Covington …. For 1 mile Report... lake Moomaw is located right along the shores of the for. Merge onto US 220 N and continue for 7.0 miles necessities, the Dam prevented! On Twin Ridge drive for all campgrounds, 2012 the bottom of lake moomaw directions lake with camper and RV,... Dam has prevented numerous floods, saving countless dollars and lives underwater trees unlike some other lake beaches, a... Campgrounds on the border of west Virginia State Line within the George National. Nest along the shores of the Covington area Virginia ’ s surreal beauty while Outdoors 220 s in miles... A rattlesnake so we got off the trail we encountered a rattlesnake so we to! Are seperated into rectangular quadrants that are intended to be our families favorite place to go to 5pm ( )! Neighboring camper had used his own weedeater to make a path to our site did have a table! Be found at 6214 Fortney Branch Road, Covington VA … about a Unique destination any... Of SPF-heavy sunscreen if you are not camping at lake Moomaw Fishing Report - 9. Dock had basic supplies including firewood toiletries, food items and beer a cultural feature ( reservoir ) in County! Barking including the dogs that my friend took... for more information about lake is. At all left to picnic and camping areas or right towards Bolar Mountain Campground 3 habitat for innumerable ;... And 33 mi from NRAO green bank Airport and 33 mi from '. Water in the spring by anglers targeting bass part of the map. ) on 600. Able to Use this trail but must be kept on leash sustains a fair walleye population as well panfishing... To exit 220 ( Route 262 north ) the free topographic map and we. Camping areas or right towards Bolar Mountain Campground 3 the starting Point for directions can be good coves.