The song was written by Harvey, and self-produced with Flood and John Parish. Following its release, the track climbed to number 33 on the US Rock charts. A noun or pronoun can be used between "water" and "down." The lyrics listed above are incorrect, the line should read the "lash-flashing Leda on pier nineteen". Definition of water-down phrasal verb in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Down by the water "I" took "her hand" just like my daughter " I'll" see "her" again = He killed her... and like his daughter who is dead, he'll see "her" again as well. Meaning of water down. He recalls how he often walked beside the river and the port area. Does it simply mean to water like watering plants and the down is just there to add emphasis because the water pours downwards? In a 1970 interview with Fusion, Neil Young cleared it up: "There's no real murder in it. To me this is such a sad song, invoking the horrible feeling of fighting to stay afloat whilst watching beloved lives, traditions, and graceful ships sink silently into the past. The reference in "the laver of the water" to baptism, is even more unquestionable than in "the laver of regeneration" of Titus 3:5.Hence we must conclude that the phrase "in the Word" is in some way connected with that sacrament. The senses of water down I found are: to make a liquid weaker by adding water • He listened to the water course down the pipe into the bowl beneath. Writing: Colin Meloy Production: Tucker Martine alongside members of The Decemberists. Tow-Head Teen refers to Steam tenders that worked the river, tying barges along side as they went (known as fingers) to make extra money. Song Meanings and Facts © 2021. Does it simply mean to water like watering plants and the down is just there to add emphasis because the water pours downwards? Eventually the rails render all this economically untenable, leaving these boats scrambling for revenue, even through unsafe conditions(knocked down=capsized, tear me up=beat up hull), they bore it all to fill their cup. With the refrain of "I shot my baby - down by the river," this song gets your attention. Once industrial by way of steam powered craft, it remained vital thru the 1920's, essentially dying out with the advent of railroads. To dilute, usually by literally adding water. • It is easy to see why the water table goes down so rapidly. Found 1226 sentences matching phrase "water down".Found in 64 ms. We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage. A watered-down idea or opinion has been made less extreme than it originally was, usually so…. Song meanings ©2003-2021 lyricinterpretations.com. What does water down mean? watering down definition in English dictionary, watering down meaning, synonyms, see also 'watering hole',watering place',watering pot',stock watering'. Down by the Water is musically and stylistically a significant departure from Amy Macdonald’s typical pop-music sound. He also makes mention of the difficulties the shipping industry faced during the summer seasons and how mariners still endured because of their love for the trade. In the 1920's steam launch rides provided civilized entertainment. Tagged: No tags, suggest one. 2. Tubman used “Wade in the Water” to tell slaves to get into the water to avoid being seen and make it through. It is almost a traditional-sounding spiritual with … Down by the Water is a song on the American indie rock band The Decemberists' sixth album, The King is Dead. Drown definition is - to become drowned. What does water down mean? Wade in the Water. Mildly ill. Yeah, I was under the weather last week, but I'm feeling much better now. On The Decemberists’ “Down by the Water”, the narrator reminisces on America’s past maritime life by describing the elements that were present at the time. Definition of water down in the Definitions.net dictionary. Tourism is exploited in the end. Principal Translations: Inglés: Español: water down, water [sth] down, water down [sth] vtr phrasal sep phrasal verb, transitive, separable: Verb with adverb(s) or preposition(s), having special meaning, divisible--for example, "call off" [=cancel], "call the game off," "call off the game."